Do-it-yourself, or DIY siding is not for the faint of heart, even though numerous television shows make it look easy. For every DIY siding success story, there are hundreds of failures.
If you’re in the market for new siding, whether you’re preparing to sell your home or it’s just time for a change, hiring a siding professional to do the replacement is the best way to ensure the project is done right. However, if you’re still wanting to dive in and do it yourself, be sure to weigh the pros and cons of the situation to understand the risks and rewards of each option.
DIY Siding Installation
Doing your siding installation yourself will certainly save you a considerable sum on labor, and for most homeowners, that is the appeal. Handy homeowners willing to take on a siding project for the first time will have to do considerable research about what tools are needed, how to select materials, how much time to schedule for the job, etc. However, even for the most experienced handyman, there are many challenges with installing siding for the first time.
- Mistakes are easy to make and hard to fix. Planning the placement, lining up seams, and ensuring the siding is properly adhered to the house can be harder than it looks.
- If not done correctly, you may damage the structure of the home.
- Work can take twice as long to do DIY siding than with a professional team. What else could you be doing with your time? How long are you willing to have an exterior that’s in progress?
- You won’t receive “contractor rates” on materials.
- Inadequate installation can lead to big problems later, like siding damages from mold, vermin, storms, etc. Siding is your home’s first line of defense against the outdoors. It must be carefully installed to withstand years of turbulent weather, overzealous children, and relentless wildlife.
- Your decisions are your own. If you choose the wrong materials or install the siding incorrectly, you live with your mistakes. When you hire a professional contractor like Pro-Home Services, we give you confident advice on the best materials to use for your needs. We take into account your particular home, your needs, and your neighborhood. We also guarantee our work.
Hiring a Professional
Hiring a professional contractor is a worthwhile investment. They come with the proper tools and materials, technical knowledge, and most importantly, the experienced craftsmanship to ensure that your siding is installed correctly and will properly withstand the elements.
There are many exterior improvement contractors like Pro-Homes, who install siding. Look for the following qualities in the professionals you engage:
- Licensed, bonded, and insured
- A contract without a commitment to pay upfront
- Expert knowledge and skills
- Safety procedures
- Established clean-up procedures and/or home protection promise
- Workmanship and materials warranties
- Knowledge of building codes
- Tools and materials provided
And most importantly… an excellent reputation in your community, backed by stellar reviews.
DIY siding is a risky business but so is hiring the wrong siding installer. Pro-Home Services has over 20 years of siding installation knowledge, and a reputation for excellence, using trusted brands of siding such as Alside, LP Smartside, and James Hardie. Take the day off and give Pro-Homes a call for your siding installation. It could be the beginning of a wonderful partnership for your home improvement! Call today for a free estimate at (630)790-0800.