Is it time to plan for a new roof? Are you overwhelmed by this task? Never fear! Here are the basic steps you need to take to plan your new roof, from determining what you want to choosing a roofing professional. At Pro-Home Services, we’ve got every step covered.
- Evaluate your roof. Ask: When was the last time your roof was replaced? It is recommended that the average roof be replaced every 20 years. Is there visible damage to the roof, like broken or missing shingles? Perhaps damage from ice this winter has pushed your roof over the edge. If so, this is a great time to take advantage of the warming weather and get a new roof!
- Determine Your Needs Getting your roof done is also a good time to consider whether you need other improvements to be made in the uppermost part of your home. For example, do you need new gutters too or gutter guards? Any skylights to be replaced? How is your attic ventilation? Do you need fans or vents? The most efficient time to make any improvements is when you are having your roof redone so consider the options now.
- Choose the type of roof material that is right for you. Asphalt is the most common and affordable roofing option, but there are also materials like wood shakes, metal roofing, or clay shingles. Different materials not only alter the appearance of your roof, but they have different levels of reliability, and require different maintenance. Make sure you choose wisely!
- Choose the color of your roof to match the style of your home. Take the color scheme of your house into account, as well as the roof colors of your neighbors. Asphalt shingles are generally available in more colors, but wood or clay can add a rustic, natural look to your house as well. Presentation is important to curb appeal, so make sure that your roof color matches the aesthetic of your house and neighborhood.
- Choose a quality roofing professional. This is perhaps the most important step because the right professional will help you make the other right choices. Make sure you use a company and contractor who has experience and has been in business for years. Ask around, especially with homeowners who have just had their roofing replaced. Some roofers also have impressive awards and certifications that can inspire confidence. Your chosen roofer should be experienced, reputable, do quality work and offer a warranty.
- Get Started! Most residential roofing projects are completed within a day or two so choose a time when your home will be at or below its regular level of activity. A good roofer will talk to you beforehand and tell you how to prepare your home for the upcoming project. Your roofer should also introduce you to your foreman on the crew and hopefully, be available to you during the installation to answer any and all questions.
At Pro-Home Services, we guide our customers through each phase of the roof planning process. For more information or for a free estimate, contact us at 630-790-0800.