When you work for a roofing and siding company, you become an expert at spotting the warning signs that a home’s siding is on its last legs. Unfortunately, these signs can be subtle enough that many homeowners don’t notice them at all until it’s too late. By that point, it’s often too late to perform siding repair, and instead, the home requires a total siding replacement.
So long as the original siding contractors who worked on your home did their job correctly, then quality vinyl siding should last for 40 years or more. If your home has composite siding, then even the paint job should last 15 to 20 years. Unfortunately, many older homes were built with wood or low-quality types of house siding, which is more prone to rot, bugs, and the elements.
If your home or business has siding, then you need to stay alert for these warning signs. It doesn’t take long for a minor siding installation problem to turn into a major disaster, and you can’t afford to procrastinate when it comes to siding repair.
Here are seven warning signs our roofing and siding experts look for:
- Have you recently found peeling paint or wallpaper inside your home? Have you found signs of mold or water damage, but can’t find a leak? Bad siding lets moisture and water leak into your walls, causing damage to the interior and exterior of your home.
- Holes in your siding are a huge problem. Not only will they allow moisture into your home, but they’re often a sure sign that bugs are making their way into your walls!
- As soon as you spot signs of rotting or warping siding, it’s time to call home improvement professionals. If this problem spreads, then you’ll have no choice but to pay for siding replacement. Often, the exterior of your siding is the last to rot, so if possible, peek under the outermost layer for signs of damage.
- Noticed a recent spike in your utility bills? Quality siding should keep your home insulated, and broken siding often results in a sudden spike in heating or cooling costs.
- Mold, mildew, and fungus are all enemies of siding. As soon as you spot signs of mold or rot of any kind, it’s time to call in the professionals.
- A single loose panel of siding might just indicate the need for minor siding repair. But if there are multiple pieces of loose or missing siding, then there could be serious underlying problems you need to address. Check for missing nails as well.
- Finally, like all other building materials, even the highest quality vinyl siding is prone to natural wear and tear, especially after a heavy storm. If your siding is fading and generally unpleasant to look at, then it’s probably reaching the end of its natural lifespan. Talk to home improvement and siding contractors before old siding becomes a full blown disaster.
Remember: when in doubt, contact local siding contractors to perform an inspection. Siding isn’t just there to boost your home’s curb appeal; it protects your home from water damage, bugs, animals, and more.